ASHEBORO — The annual Horse Parade has been canceled this year but it could be resumed in 2023.
Shelia Scott, who has helped with the parade for more than 20 years, said she and her husband decided not to continue with the parade this year due to not having a suitable staging area and concerns over safety.
“We sent out a letter in August that we were not going to continue the horse parade,” said Scott. Then another group expressed interest in taking it over but were unable to get a permit from the City of Asheboro in time. Scott said, “The group hopes to continue it next year.”
The event had been scheduled for Nov. 6, before the cancellation. Scott said it has been the first Sunday in November.
She said the Horse Parade “started in 1958 with my father, Bill Kirby, and Virgil Hill on South Fayetteville Street.” Later, it was combined with the Asheboro Fall Festival before things “got too large.” For a while it was held the Friday night before the Fall Festival before moving to the first Sunday in November.
Scott said she hopes the new group can resume the Horse Parade next year. “It’s something people look forward to.”