From Nov. 11-13, the baseball field at South Asheboro Middle School will once again be transformed into the Field of Honor with 500 US flags posted in perfect rows and columns in tribute of heroes. The public may sponsor flags in recognition of those heroes, including veterans, active duty service men and women, first responders, or any personal heroes or heroines.
Funds raised through this event will benefit the Asheboro Rotary Club Scholarship Fund and the Asheboro/Randolph Chamber Charitable Foundation. Throughout the weekend, community members will be able to visit the Field of Honor display and walk among the flags, and sponsored flags will be tagged with the names of both the sponsor and the hero to whom each is dedicated.
On Friday, Nov. 11, flag sales will begin at 9 a.m. and end at 6 p.m. An opening ceremony will be held at noon and the public is welcome to visit the field at any time. The opening ceremony will be led by Master of Ceremonies Larry Reid and will feature:
- Presentation and retirement of the colors by the Asheboro High School JRROTC.
- National anthem by Marcus Lowery.
- Flyover by Jerry Jeffers.
- Invocation by Pastor Travis Cooke.
- Keynote speech by Dr. Robert Shackleford.
- Benediction by Pastor Dean Pollard.
On Saturday, Nov. 12, volunteers will be on site for flag sales between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.
On Sunday, Nov. 13, volunteers will be on site from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. A closing ceremony led by emcee Larry Reid will be held at 3 p.m. and will feature:
- Presentation and retirement of the colors, 21-gun salute and Taps by the Randolph County Honor Guard.
- Reading of names on flags by members of the Asheboro Rotary Club.
- America the Beautiful sung by Cynthia Price.
- Bagpiper John Davis.
- Purchased flags can be collected and taken home after the closing ceremony concludes.
The cost to sponsor a flag is $40. Other sponsorship opportunities for Field of Honor are as follows:
- Freedom Sponsor $250 (includes 2 flags).
- Field Sponsor $500 (includes 4 flags).
- Hero Sponsor $1,000 (includes 8 flags).
- Patriot Sponsor $2,000 (includes 16 flags).
For information on how to purchase flags, contact Amy Rudisill at the Asheboro-Randolph Chamber at 336-626-2626, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.